Lightning occurs when a combination of natural weather conditions come together to create an electrical impulse. Lightning cannot occur in the absence of thunder; however, thunder is not always heard. Caution must be exerted as the storm approaches and for a substantial time period after the storm.
Once there is less than 30 seconds between the sight of lightening and the sound of thunder, all individuals should be cleared from the field and in a safe location. All lacrosse sticks should be put away in players bags and not be in use.
Resumption of activity: There should be 30 minutes between the last sound of thunder and the last flash of lightening before activity is resumed. The 30 minute clock may be re-set as more activity is heard or seen.
If lightning occurs within the last half hour of our allotted practice time practice will be cancelled for the evening.
- A building normally occupied by people, with wiring and plumbing that has been grounded.
- If building are not available, vehicles with a hard metal roof with the window shut. Individuals should not touch the metal framework of the vehicle as well as the steering wheel, ignition keys, and/or radio.
- Any location which is the highest point in the area.
- Areas connected to or near light poles, towers and fences.
- Small covered shelters outside, such as dugouts, bleachers, rain shelters, picnic shelters.
- The showers or plumbing of a building as well as electrical appliances should be avoided during a thunderstorm.
Please refer to the following link for more details on lightning and safety.
Rain day notice will be posted on all Jesters Social media accounts:
Jesters Lacrosse Inc: @jesterslax17
Jesters Lacrosse Club: @JestersLacrosseClub
Cancellation notices will be sent out on social media and email using the following guidelines:
Obvious Conditions (heavy rain all day): 2 hours prior
Moderate to Light Rain: 1 hour prior